Republicans call off vote on Iran war resolution that was on the verge of passing

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republicans struggled Thursday to find the votes to dismiss legislation that would compelPresident Donald Trumpto withdraw from thewar with Iran, delaying planned votes on the matter into June.

Associated Press House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., center, speaks as Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., left, Vice Chair Rep. Pete Aguilar, D-Calif., right, listen during a news conference, Thursday, May 21, 2026, on Capitol Hill, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mariam Zuhaib) Speaker of the House Mike Johnson, R-La., and House GOP leaders departs a news conference after primary elections that affirmed President Donald Trump's dominance of the Republican Party, at the Capitol in Washington, Wednesday, May 20, 2026. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite) House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., speaks during a news conference, Thursday, May 21, 2026, on Capitol Hill, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mariam Zuhaib)

Congress Democrats

The House had scheduled a vote on a war powers resolution, brought by Democrats, that would rein in Trump's military campaign. But as it became clear that Republicans would not have the numbers to defeat the bill, GOP leaders declined to hold a vote on it.

Republicans are also working to ensure they have the votes to dismiss another war powers resolution in the Senate that advanced to a final vote earlier this week, when four GOP senators supported the resolution and three others were absent from the vote.

The actions by congressional leaders showed the increasing difficultly of maintaining political backing for Trump's handling of the war. Rank-and-file Republicans are increasingly willing to defy the president over the conflict.

Frustration with Iran war grows on Capitol Hill

On Capitol Hill, patience with the war has worn thin as the stalemate in theStrait of Hormuzdisrupts global shipping andelevates gas pricesin the U.S. Another House war powers resolution nearly passed last week, falling on a tie vote as three Republicans voted in favor.

Democratic Rep. Gregory Meeks of New York, who sponsored the war powers resolution, had said he expected to have the votes this time around.

“Congress has a constitutional duty. It has a duty to act, not to cheerlead, especially not to cheerlead an open-ended war of choice,” Meeks said.

The lone Democrat who voted against the war powers resolution last week, Rep. Jared Golden of Maine, had said he would vote in favor of the legislation this time. Meanwhile, leaders of both parties dealt with several absences that could have shifted the vote either way in the closely divided chamber.

Republicans have been broadly supportive of Trump's efforts to destroy Iran's nuclear capabilities, but some are now saying the president's legal timeline to wage a war without congressional approval has expired. Under the War Powers Resolution of 1973, presidents have 60 days to engage in a military conflict before Congress must either declare war or authorize the use of military force.

“We have to follow the law,” said Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick, a Pennsylvania Republican, shortly after he voted for an Iran war powers resolution for the first time last week.

The dispute over war powers

The White Houseargues that the requirementsof the War Powers Resolution no longer apply because of the ceasefire with Iran. At the same time,Trump has saidhe was just an hour away from ordering another strike on Iran earlier this week, but held off because Gulf allies said they were engaged in negotiations to end the war.

Still, Trump said on social media that military leaders should “be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.” Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran andthen backed off.

Advertisement

Sen. Thom Tillis, a Republican who has so far voted against the war powers resolutions, expressed frustration with the Trump administration's stance, especially from Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth.

“The current status quo, Pete Hegseth demonstrates how incompetent he is,” Tillis told reporters, adding that he would be willing to vote for an authorization for use of military force.

Democratic senators rallied outside the Capitol Wednesday alongside VoteVets, a left-leaning veterans’ advocacy group. They placed signs on the Capitol lawn noting that the nationwide average price of gasoline had risen to $4.53.

Sen. Tammy Duckworth, an Illinois Democrat who served in the Iraq War with the Air National Guard, argued that the Iran war has amounted to a strategic blunder for Trump.

“Trump started a war, and he’s made things worse than before,” Duckworth said, pointing to Iran's new leadership and the country's willingness to put a chokehold on commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz.

Republican leaders praised Trump for taking what they said was bold action to directly confront Iran, a nation that has been a U.S. adversary for decades.

“I’m an American. I don’t believe in getting hit and walking away and pretending as though it didn’t happen,” said Rep. Brian Mast, the Republican chair of the House Foreign Affairs Committee.

For Congress, the growing momentum to pass a war powers resolution could eventually lead to a legal showdown over who has the final authority over military conflicts.

The legislation before the House Thursday was a concurrent resolution that lawmakers said would take effect without Trump's signature if it passed both chambers of Congress.

But Trump has also argued that the 1973 law — passed by Congress during the Vietnam War era in an attempt to take back its power over foreign conflicts — is unconstitutional.

Associated Press writer Joey Cappelletti contributed to this report.

Republicans call off vote on Iran war resolution that was on the verge of passing

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republicans struggled Thursday to find the votes to dismiss legislation that would compelPresident Donald Trumpto wit...
NASCAR champ Kyle Busch dies at 41 after bout with severe illness

Kyle Busch, a two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion considered one of the best drivers of all time, died Thursday after a bout with a severe illness. He was 41.

Field Level Media

The Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR confirmed his death hours after announcing that Busch had been hospitalized this week and would miss Sunday's Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. No further details, including the type of illness and location of the hospital, were provided.

"Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch," the joint statement said. "A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation. He was fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely skilled and he cared deeply about the sport and fans.

"Throughout a career that spanned more than two decades, Kyle set records in national series wins, won championships at NASCAR's highest level and fostered the next generation of drivers as an owner in the Truck Series. His sharp wit and competitive spirit sparked a deep emotional connection with race fans of every age, creating the proud and loyal ‘Rowdy Nation.'"

"NASCAR lost a giant of the sport today, far too soon."

Busch is survived by his wife Samantha, 11-year-old son Brexton and 4-year-old daughter Lennix. He was also the younger brother of NASCAR Hall of Famer Kurt Busch, 47.

When the NASCAR Cup Series came to Watkins Glen, N.Y. earlier this month, Busch told his team over the radio that he was "gonna need a shot" and later told The Athletic he had not fully gotten over what was ailing him.

Advertisement

"You can kind of hear it -- I'm still not great," Busch said. "The cough was pretty substantial last week."

Busch accrued 232 wins across NASCAR's top three series: 63 in the Cup Series, 102 in the O'Reilly Auto Parts Series and 69 in the Craftsman Truck Series. He won the trucks race at Dover on Friday, six days before his death.

The Las Vegas native was the NASCAR Cup Series champion in 2015 and 2019. He never won the Daytona 500 but claimed the pole for the first time this year before finishing 15th.

Among Busch's big wins were the 2008 Southern 500, the 2015 and 2016 Brickyard 400 and 2019 Coca-Cola 600.

In a statement earlier in the day, Richard Childress Racing asked for prayers for Busch and his family and "he and his family have the full resources of RCR behind them."

They also tapped Austin Hill to take over for Busch in the No. 8 Chevrolet for the Coca-Cola 600, one of NASCAR's crown jewel events.

--Field Level Media

NASCAR champ Kyle Busch dies at 41 after bout with severe illness

Kyle Busch, a two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion considered one of the best drivers of all time, died Thursday after a bout with a sev...
Jalen Williams injury update: OKC Thunder star exits Game 2 vs Spurs

OKC ThunderforwardJalen Williamsexited Wednesday night'sGame 2 of the Western Conference finalsagainst theSan Antonio Spurswith a left hamstring injury, according to a report fromESPN's Tim MacMahon.

USA TODAY

Williams checked out at the 1:34 mark in the first quarter and hasn't returned.

It’s the same hamstring he strained in Game 2 of the first round against thePhoenix Suns, causing him to miss six games before coming back on Monday.

Advertisement

This article will be updated.

LIVE UPDATES:Thunder vs Spurs Game 2 live updates, score: SGA, Wemby battle in West finals

Jordan Davis covers high school sports for The Oklahoman. Have a story idea for Jordan? He can be reached atjdavis@oklahoman.comor on X/Twitter at@thejordancdavis. Sign up forThe Varsity Club newsletterto access more high school coverage. Support Jordan’s work and that of other Oklahoman journalists by purchasing adigital subscription today at subscribe.oklahoman.com.

This article originally appeared on Oklahoman:Jalen Williams injury status for Thunder-Spurs Game 2 of NBA Playoffs

Jalen Williams injury update: OKC Thunder star exits Game 2 vs Spurs

OKC ThunderforwardJalen Williamsexited Wednesday night'sGame 2 of the Western Conference finalsagainst theSan Antonio Spurswith a l...
Oil rebounds on uncertainty over Iran peace deal and inventory drawdowns

By Sam Li and Lewis Jackson

Reuters

BEIJING, May 21 (Reuters) - Oil prices rebounded on Thursday after two days of losses on outstanding supply concerns because of the uncertain outlook for an end ‌to the Iran war and a U.S. inventory draw raised worries about the depletion of global stockpiles.

Brent ‌crude futures rose 81 cents, or 0.77%, to $105.83 a barrel by 0055 GMT, and U.S. West Texas Intermediate futures were up 97 ​cents, or 0.99%, at $99.23.

Both benchmarks dropped more than 5.6% on Wednesday after U.S. President Donald Trump said negotiations with Iran were in the final stages, but he also threatened further attacks if it did not agree to a peace deal.

Iran warned against further attacks and announced steps entrenching its control of the crucial Strait of Hormuz waterway, which before ‌the war carried oil and liquefied natural ⁠gas shipments equal to about 20% of global consumption but has been mostly closed.

"The sharp drop in oil prices appears to be pricing in the possibility of a breakthrough ⁠in the talks," said Yang An, analyst at Haitong Futures.

"However, if Trump insists on making no concessions to Iran, an agreement seems unlikely, and the final outcome of the negotiations could reverse sharply," Yang said.

On Wednesday, Iran announced a new "Persian ​Gulf ​Strait Authority," saying there would be a "controlled maritime zone" in ​the Strait of Hormuz.

Advertisement

Iran effectively closed the strait ‌in retaliation to U.S. and Israel attacks that started the war on February 28. Most of the fighting has stopped since an April ceasefire but while Iran is limiting traffic through Hormuz, the U.S. has blockaded its coastline.

The supply losses from the key Middle Eastern region because of the war have forced countries to pull from their commercial and strategic inventories at a rapid rate, raising concerns about draining them.

The U.S. Energy Information Administration said ‌on Wednesday the country withdrew nearly 10 million barrels of ​oil from its Strategic Petroleum Reserve last week, the biggest drawdown ​on record.

The EIA also said commercial crude inventories ​fell by 7.9 million barrels to 445 million barrels last week, compared with analysts' expectations ‌in a Reuters poll for a 2.9 million-barrel ​draw.

Gasoline inventories fell by 1.5 ​million barrels, while distillates rose by 372,000 barrels.

"The drawdown in oil inventories will make it difficult for oil prices to remain low," said Mingyu Gao, chief researcher for energy and chemicals at China Futures.

"With ​the Strait of Hormuz blocked, global ‌refined-product and onshore crude inventories are expected to fall below their lowest levels for this time ​of year in the past five years by late May and late June," Gao said.

(Reporting by ​Sam Li and Lewis Jackson; Editing by Christian Schmollinger)

Oil rebounds on uncertainty over Iran peace deal and inventory drawdowns

By Sam Li and Lewis Jackson BEIJING, May 21 (Reuters) - Oil prices rebounded on Thursday after two days of losses on outstanding ...
Knicks hold momentum, but Cavs no stranger to playoff comebacks

The New York Knicks are no strangers to playing with plenty of momentum during the NBA playoffs. Nor are the Cleveland Cavaliers unfamiliar with climbing back from discouraging losses.

Field Level Media

But Game 1 of their Eastern Conference finals series on Tuesday might have provided the Knicks with their most momentum yet and presented the Cavaliers their biggest challenge.

The host Knicks will aim to take a 2-0 series lead as the Cavaliers will look to bounce back from a stunning defeat in Game 2 of the best-of-seven set on Thursday.

The Knicks won Game 1 in historic fashion, overcoming a 22-point deficit in the final 7:52 of regulation and never trailing in overtime on their way to a 115-104 victory.

The victory was the eighth straight for the Knicks, who won their previous seven games by an average of 26.4 points before mounting the second-biggest fourth-quarter comeback in NBA playoff history.

The Los Angeles Clippers trailed the Memphis Grizzlies by 24 before earning a 99-98 win in Game 1 of a Western Conference first-round series in 2012.

On Tuesday, the Knicks squandered an 11-point second-quarter lead and were outscored 66-33 over a span of 21-plus minutes between the second and fourth quarters. But Jalen Brunson scored 15 points in the fourth quarter as New York ended regulation on a 30-8 run before OG Anunoby scored nine points in overtime.

"They were playing great basketball, had us on our heels, give them a lot of credit -- obviously we played well in the fourth and overtime," Brunson said. "It was the middle, second and third quarter, where we let go of the rope. So that's our biggest takeaway."

Advertisement

That plus the fact that the series isn't over just because of a resounding Game 1 victory. In 2012, the Clippers had to go the distance to eliminate the Grizzlies, who forced a decisive Game 7 after falling behind 3-1.

"They're going to come out with extreme energy, attention to detail, focus, sense of urgency and desperation," Knicks forward Josh Hart said. "They're looking at it like that was our game that we gave away."

The loss was the seventh of the postseason for the Cavaliers, who needed the full seven games to eliminate the fifth-seeded Toronto Raptors in the first round and the top-seeded Detroit Pistons in the second round.

"We've had some tough ones, but it's one loss," said Cavaliers guard Donovan Mitchell, who scored 29 points but just three during the Knicks' fourth-quarter surge. "It's not like that loss gives them two or three games. It's one. So we have an opportunity to come back here in two days and steal one here."

Cleveland squandered a 2-0 series lead against the Raptors, who forced Game 7 when RJ Barrett hit a 29-footer that bounced high above the rim and through the net to give Toronto a 112-110 win.

The Cavaliers trailed the Pistons 2-0 in the second round, then won three straight before missing a chance to close out the series at home last Friday, when Detroit rolled to a 115-94 victory. However, Cleveland responded with a 125-94 road rout in Sunday's Game 7.

"Just understanding that we didn't have the best effort (Tuesday) night, we didn't have the best outcome," Cavaliers center Jarrett Allen said. "And the resiliency is going to show (Thursday in) how we come out."

--Field Level Media

Knicks hold momentum, but Cavs no stranger to playoff comebacks

The New York Knicks are no strangers to playing with plenty of momentum during the NBA playoffs. Nor are the Cleveland Cavaliers unfami...

 

MON SEVEN © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com