Sports

Why Gina Carano tapped out so fast vs. Ronda Rousey

Gina Carano lasted 17 seconds against Ronda Rousey, and reconciling the lightning-quick loss has lasted much longer.

USA TODAY

“My heart is heavy, I wanted to throw, battle, win, but I kicked when I should have moved and was down and done,’’Carano wrote on Instagramon Monday, May 18, two days after the highly promoted MMA fight. “If I hadn’t tapped she would’ve broken my arm, as it had begun to crackle.

“The disappointment of losing like that is very humbling.”

After the fight, Carano said, she was approached by UFC legend Jon Jones.

Advertisement

Wrote Carano, “Jon said, ‘You haven’t fought in 17 years? Do you know how (courageous you) have to be to get back in there after that long? Did you set some sort of record or something? Respect!’

“That’s exactly what I needed to hear from the best to ever to do it.”

Carano, 44,noted she lost 100 poundsto get prepared to fight the 39-year-old Rousey at a maximum weight of 145 pounds. Carano weighed in at 141.1, and there were no audible boos when she tapped out almost as soon as the fight began.

“Thank you ALL for showing your support,’’ Carano wrote. “It’s because of you we get to face our fears and live our dreams.”

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:Gina Carano explains why she tapped out vs. Ronda Rousey so fast

Why Gina Carano tapped out so fast vs. Ronda Rousey

Gina Carano lasted 17 seconds against Ronda Rousey, and reconciling the lightning-quick loss has lasted much longer. “My heart is ...
Starbucks Korea head fired after promotion sparks public uproar

SEOUL, May 19 (Reuters) - South Korea's food conglomerate Shinsegae Group has fired the head of ‌Starbucks Korea after a promotion campaign sparked public ‌uproar on the anniversary of pro-democracy protests.

Reuters

• Shinsegae, the South Korean ​licensee of the U.S. coffee chain, said in statement on Monday that Chairman Chung Yong-jin sacked Sohn Jeong-hyun, the head of Starbucks Korea, for carrying out "inappropriate ‌marketing."

• Hours earlier the ⁠South Korean coffee chain launched a "Tank Day" promotion, which South Koreans saw as a ⁠reminder of military tanks ramming protesters who fought against dictatorship in 1980s. The promotion offered discounts to ​customers who ​bought tumblers. The campaign ​used wording that recalled ‌a former South Korean official's explanation for the death of a student protester in 1987, who was found to have been tortured.

Advertisement

• South Korea marked Democratisation Movement Day on Monday, the anniversary of the student-led ‌Gwangju uprising. Hundreds, and possibly ​thousands, are believed to have ​been killed when citizens ​rose up against military dictator Chun ‌Doo-hwan on May 18, 1980.

• ​Starbucks Korea posted ​a statement on website apologising for the promotion.

• President Lee Jae Myung said on X that ​he was "enraged" ‌and demanded the company apologise to families of ​people killed during the uprising.

(Reporting by Heejin ​Kim; Editing by Sam Holmes)

Starbucks Korea head fired after promotion sparks public uproar

SEOUL, May 19 (Reuters) - South Korea's food conglomerate Shinsegae Group has fired the head of ‌Starbucks Korea after a promotion ...
Neymar makes Brazil’s WC roster, Joao Pedro left off

Neymar will make his fourth World Cup appearance after Brazil named him to their 26-man squad on Monday.

Field Level Media

The decision was not a guarantee as questions surrounded Neymar's fitness since his ACL tear more than two years ago.

"(Neymar) has improved his fitness," Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti said Monday following the squad announcement at a gala in Rio de Janeiro. "He will be an important player in this World Cup."

Brazil's all-time leading goal-scorer (79), Neymar rejoined his boyhood club Santos last year after a stay with Saudi Arabia's Al Hilal.

Neymar has collected eight goals through his three World Cups (2014, 2018, 2022) and will try to guide the Selecao to their first title since 2002.

Chelsea forward Joao Pedro was the most notable omission from the roster. Some expected he would make his first World Cup roster at 24 years old, and he has played for Brazil in international competition in the lead-up to this cycle, but Ancelotti favored Neymar, Real Madrid star Vinicius Junior, Bournemouth's Rayan, Brentford's Igor Thiago and others at that position.

Advertisement

"It was very difficult to choose these 26 players," said Ancelotti. "Why? Because the competition in this country is very, very high. I know some players who have been with us this year will be unhappy."

BRAZIL WORLD CUP ROSTER

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Liverpool), Ederson (Fenerbahce), Weverton (Gremio)

Defenders: Alex Sandro (Flamengo), Bremer (Juventus), Danilo (Flamengo), Douglas Santos (Zenit Saint Petersburg), Gabriel (Arsenal), Roger Ibanez (Al Ahli), Leo Pereira (Flamengo), Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain), Wesley (Roma)

Midfielders: Bruno Guimaraes (Newcastle United), Casemiro (Manchester United), Danilo (Botafogo), Fabinho (Al Ittihad), Lucas Paqueta (Flamengo)

Forwards: Endrick (Lyon), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal), Igor Thiago (Brentford), Luiz Henrique (Zenit Saint Petersburg), Matheus Cunha (Manchester United), Neymar (Santos), Raphinha (Barcelona), Rayan (Bournemouth), Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid)

--Field Level Media

Neymar makes Brazil’s WC roster, Joao Pedro left off

Neymar will make his fourth World Cup appearance after Brazil named him to their 26-man squad on Monday. The decision was not a g...
He was the first person to really like tell me I was …

Advertisement

USA TODAY

Oh No He Didn't: Shai on Steve Nash announcing him as the MVP winner: "Full circle moment.He was the first person to really like tell me I was going to the NBA other than my family. It's crazy how life works. He saw it early and I just believed ever since"

This article originally appeared on Hoops Hype:He was the first person to really like tell me I was …

He was the first person to really like tell me I was …

Advertisement Oh No He Didn't: Shai on Steve Nash announcing him as the MVP winner: "Full circle moment.He was the first...
Philippines to convene court for VP impeachment amid political turmoil

By Karen Lema

Reuters

MANILA, May 18 (Reuters) - The Philippine Senate was due to convene as an impeachment court on Monday that could decide the future of Vice President Sara Duterte, with a heated battle between two rival ‌political camps set to be front and centre in the trial.

The impeachment trial will be a high-stakes event ‌that could either kill off Duterte's 2028 presidential hopes, or strengthen her position as lead contender to succeed her bitter rival, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, who ​is constitutionally barred from running again.

It comes against a turbulent political backdrop, just days after chaos and a shootout in the upper house and a potentially decisive change in its leadership, both stemming from the re-emergence from hiding of a pro-Duterte senator wanted by the International Criminal Court.

Just as lawmakers prepared to vote to impeach Duterte in the lower house on May 11, politician Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa ‌reappeared to cast a crucial Senate vote to ⁠install Duterte loyalist Alan Peter Cayetano as Senate president, effectively making Cayetano the presiding officer for the impeachment trial.

BIG TEST FOR DUTERTE

Duterte is undergoing her biggest political test and faces a ban from ⁠holding office if convicted in the trial, which comes as her father, former President Rodrigo Duterte, awaits his own trial at the ICC over his deadly "war on drugs".

Sara Duterte, 47, is accused of misusing public funds, amassing unexplained wealth and threatening the lives of Marcos, the ​first lady ​and a former House speaker. She denies wrongdoing.

It is unclear when ​the trial will start. Marcos has distanced himself from ‌her impeachment, saying it is a legislative matter.

Advertisement

Marcos and Duterte are both scions of powerful political families who ran together in the 2022 election. But cracks soon appeared in their alliance, leading to an acrimonious fallout and Marcos handing her father over to the ICC.

Analysts say the Senate leadership change triggered by dela Rosa's return may have shifted the balance of power in a chamber that counts Duterte loyalists and aligned politicians among its 24 members, who will serve as jurors.

A conviction requires two-thirds support.

"Given ‌that we now have a new majority, thanks to the efforts of ​Senator Bato, it would make prosecuting Vice President Sara in the impeachment court ​a little more difficult," said Ederson Tapia, public administration ​professor at the University of Makati.

FUGITIVE SENATOR'S DRAMATIC RETURN

Dela Rosa's return from six months in hiding created ‌drama that has gripped the Philippines, with the former ​police chief taking refuge for ​days in the heavily guarded Senate before a warning of his imminent arrest led to pandemonium, gunfire and his escape hours later.

As chief enforcer of the former president's drugs crackdown, dela Rosa, 64, is accused of crimes against humanity. ​The Marcos administration on Friday confirmed it ‌will seek his arrest.

Dela Rosa, whose whereabouts are unknown, denies wrongdoing and has sought a Supreme Court injunction to ​block his arrest, arguing there is no legal basis to serve a warrant from a foreign court. ​The solicitor-general rejects that.

(Reporting by Karen Lema; Editing by Martin Petty)

Philippines to convene court for VP impeachment amid political turmoil

By Karen Lema MANILA, May 18 (Reuters) - The Philippine Senate was due to convene as an impeachment court on Monday that could de...

 

MON SEVEN © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com