U.S. vice president meets EU Commission chief, hopes to move forward trade talksNew Foto - U.S. vice president meets EU Commission chief, hopes to move forward trade talks

ROME (Reuters) - U.S. Vice President JD Vance met European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni on Sunday, and said he hoped their encounter would help move forward trade talks between the EU and the United States. "Europe is an important ally of the United States... but, of course, we have some disagreements, as friends sometimes do, on issues like trade," Vance said, sitting alongside von der Leyen and Meloni in Rome after they had all attended Pope Leo's inaugural Mass. "I think we'll have a great conversation, and hopefully it will be the beginning of some long-term trade negotiations and some long-term trade advantages between both Europe and the United States," he added. The White House has imposed a 25% tariff on imports of steel, aluminium and cars, as well as a baseline 10% tariff on almost all countries, with additional "reciprocal" tariffs -- making for a combined 20% in the EU's case -- lined up if negotiations during a 90-day pause fail. Von der Leyen said the trade relationship between the European Union and the United States was the largest in the world and worth more than $1.5 trillion a year. She added that the two sides had exchanged negotiating documents outlining the various areas of future discussion. "It is important now we've exchanged papers that our experts are deep diving, are discussing the details," she said. "Everybody knows that the devil is in the detail, but what unites us is that at the end, we want together to have a good deal for both sides," she added. Von der Leyen has not managed to hold a formal meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump since he regained the U.S. presidency in January, exchanging words only briefly at Pope Francis's funeral last month at the Vatican. Besides discussing tariffs, she said she also wanted to talk to Vance about Ukraine and defence spending. (Reporting by Crispian Balmer; Editing by Gareth Jones)

U.S. vice president meets EU Commission chief, hopes to move forward trade talks

U.S. vice president meets EU Commission chief, hopes to move forward trade talks ROME (Reuters) - U.S. Vice President JD Vance met European ...
Telegram founder says he rejects request to 'silence' conservative voices in RomaniaNew Foto - Telegram founder says he rejects request to 'silence' conservative voices in Romania

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The founder of the Telegram messaging app, Pavel Durov, said on Sunday he had refused a request by a Western country, which he did not name, to "silence" conservative voices in Romania, which was holding a presidential election run-off. "A Western European government... approached Telegram, asking us to silence conservative voices in Romania ahead of today's presidential elections. I flatly refused. Telegram will not restrict the freedoms of Romanian users or block their political channels," Pavel Durov wrote on Telegram, accompanying his post with an emoji of baguette which might hint at France. Durov was arrested at an airport near Paris last August and subsequently placed under formal investigation, with a ban on leaving France. In March he returned to Dubai. (Reporting by Reuters; Editing by Gareth Jones)

Telegram founder says he rejects request to 'silence' conservative voices in Romania

Telegram founder says he rejects request to 'silence' conservative voices in Romania MOSCOW (Reuters) - The founder of the Telegram ...
Tens of thousands protest in The Hague against Gaza warNew Foto - Tens of thousands protest in The Hague against Gaza war

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Tens of thousands of protesters marched through The Hague on Sunday demanding a tougher stance from the Dutch government against Israel's war in Gaza. Organiser Oxfam Novib said around 100,000 protesters had joined the march, most dressed in red expressing their desire for a "red line" against Israel's siege on Gaza, where it has cut off medical, food and fuel supplies. The march also passed the seat of the International Court of Justice, which is hearing a case brought by South Africa accusing Israel of genocide and last year ordered Israel to halt a military assault on the southern Gaza city of Rafah. Israel dismisses accusations of genocide as baseless and has argued in court that its operations in Gaza are self defence and targeted at Hamas militants who attacked Israel on Oct. 7. Oxfam Novib said the Dutch government had ignored what it said were war crimes committed by Israel in Gaza, and urged protesters to demand a tougher line. Dutch Foreign Affairs minister Caspar Veldkamp earlier this month said he wanted the EU to reconsider cooperation agreements it has with Israel. But the Dutch government has so far refrained from harsher criticism, and the leader of the largest party in the government coalition, anti-Muslim populist Geert Wilders, has repeatedly voiced unwavering support for Israel. Wilders called Sunday's protesters "confused" and accused them in a post on X of supporting Hamas. (Reporting by Bart Meijer)

Tens of thousands protest in The Hague against Gaza war

Tens of thousands protest in The Hague against Gaza war AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Tens of thousands of protesters marched through The Hague on S...
FBI has ID'ed 'person of interest' in explosion at Palm Springs fertility clinicNew Foto - FBI has ID'ed 'person of interest' in explosion at Palm Springs fertility clinic

The investigation into a deadly explosion —deemed "an intentional act of terrorism"— at the site of a Palm Springs fertility clinic Saturday is focused on a "person of interest" with no further imminent threat to the public, the FBI said. This is "one of the largest bombing investigations we've had in Southern California," Akil Davis, assistant director of the Los Angeles FBI field office, said of the car explosion near the American Reproductive Centers clinic. He compared it to the scale of theAliso Viejo bombing in Orange County in 2018. The percussive boom was heard and felt as far as 2 miles from the scene, and in addition to the fatality, four people were injured and numerous buildings were damaged or destroyed in the immediate area. "We have a person of interest in this investigation, but we are not actively out searching for a suspect," Davis said. ABC News reportedon Saturday that investigators raided a property in Twentynine Palms Saturday afternoon that was believed to be tied to a suspect in the bombing, citing sources with knowledge of the investigation. CNN reported that the person of interest believed by law enforcement to be responsible for the explosion is a 25-year-old man from Twentynine Palms. Palm Springs Police Chief Andy Mills said it was "an isolated incident," and sought to assuage local concerns saying, "I am confident that the community is not at risk any longer." Mills said the identity of the person of interest was not immediately released to preserve the integrity of the investigation. The owner of the clinic confirmed no one had been injured on his staff and that all eggs and embryos were safe. He said no patients were there for care on Saturday. (This is a developing story and will be updated.) This article originally appeared on Palm Springs Desert Sun:Palm Springs fertility clinic explosion: FBI IDs 'person of interest'

FBI has ID'ed 'person of interest' in explosion at Palm Springs fertility clinic

FBI has ID'ed 'person of interest' in explosion at Palm Springs fertility clinic The investigation into a deadly explosion —deem...
House budget package expands pro-energy initiatives, reversing Biden policiesNew Foto - House budget package expands pro-energy initiatives, reversing Biden policies

(The Center Square) – Energy policies included in the U.S. House budget reconciliation package represent a "significant shift in U.S. energy policy," those in the Texas energy sector argue. This is after the industry hasexpressed trepidationover Trump energy and tariff policies that created uncertainty in the market by driving up costs, reducing domestic output and dissuading domestic producers from investing in exploration and expanded production, The Center Squarereported. While the Texas oil and natural gas industry reported job gains in January and February, it reported losses in March for the first time in months as rig counts dropped, The Center Square reported. The industry slightly rebounded in April, according to the latest employment data, The Center Squarereported. Uncertainty in the industry remains due to federal energy policies and "numerous economic and geopolitical factors" that continue to impact domestic production and related investment decisions, the Texas Independent Producers and Royalty Owners Association (TIPRO) said. This includes Trump administration tariffs on steel and aluminum and encouraging OPEC+ countries to increase production, driving down domestic production and profits, The Center Square reported. However, a positive development is a commitment to reversing Biden administration-era policies, TIPRO notes. This includes Congress prioritizing pro-energy policies in its budget reconciliation bill, referred to by President Donald Trump as one "big, beautiful bill." The policies include expanding federal fossil fuel leasing, reducing royalty rates, streamlining the permitting process, repealing so-called clean energy incentives, refilling the Strategic Petroleum Reserve and delaying the Methane Emissions Reduction Program (MERP). The proposals were included in the energy sections of the House Ways and Means Committee and House Natural Resources Committee packages, including prioritizing expanding fossil fuel production, TIPRO notes. The sections were included in the package before the House Budget Committee, whichfailed to advanceit on Friday. TIPRO and othershave called forprioritizing domestic energy production, expanding critical infrastructure, including LNG ports and pipelines, protecting key tax provisions essential to the industry, among other priorities. Included in the House package is a requirement for at least 30 oil and natural gas lease sales to be made on federal land and in the Gulf of America over the next 15 years. In Alaska, it requires six lease sales for Cook Inlet and authorizes leasing to begin in the National Petroleum Reserve and Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. It also reinstates quarterly onshore oil and gas lease sales, generating an estimated $12 billion in revenue, TIPRO notes. House energy proposals also reduce royalty rates to 12.5% for onshore and offshore drilling, down from 16.67% and 18.75%, respectively, and put processes in place to increase permitting approvals for energy projects. House Republicans also repealed provisions of the Inflation Reduction Act, including clean energy incentives that provided tax credits for electric vehicles and renewable energy projects. They also curtailed the hydrogen production credit and expired "technology neutral" clean energy credits by 2031, TIPRO notes. The House proposal also allocated $1.5 billion to replenish the SPR and delayed MERP by 10 years. "With the exponential growth in energy demand forecasted in the coming years, oil and natural gas will continue to play a dominant role, but we must have the right strategy in place to provide regulatory and economic certainty to our members for the benefit of our country and allies," TIPRO President Ed Longanecker said. With Texas continuing to lead the U.S. in oil and natural gas production, emissions reductions and job growth, "sound policies that support fair business practices and laws that keep our state competitive are necessary if Texas is going to continue to benefit from oil and natural gas activity," Texas Oil & Gas Association President Todd Staples said.

House budget package expands pro-energy initiatives, reversing Biden policies

House budget package expands pro-energy initiatives, reversing Biden policies (The Center Square) – Energy policies included in the U.S. Hou...

 

MON SEVEN © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com